WHAT WE DO > CURRICULUM
The Media Sandbox Integrated Media Arts Curriculum is open to all undergraduate students majoring in Advertising, Journalism, Media and Information and Communication in the College of Communication Arts & Sciences at Michigan State University. Laptop requirement.
100-level, 3-credit classes:
- CAS 110: Creative Thinking: Explores the theory and practice for utilizing creative and critical thinking skills to generate unique ideas to solve complex problems and generate unique media content.
- CAS 111: Design and Layout: Explores the fundamentals of design practices and creative thinking, such as elements and principles of design, form, content and meaning, composition, color theory, typography, and the grid. Apply skills to solve creative challenges by working on projects using Adobe applications: Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign.
- CAS 112: Story, Sound and Motion: Explores the central role of storytelling, sound and editing in media communication.
- CAS 116: Media Sketching and Graphics: Explores how to draw both real-world and imagined imagery for media projects using traditional and digital methods.
- CAS 117: Games and Interactivity: Explores the development of responsive media and iterative design from physical games to modern interactive software. In this introductory class, students will get hands on experience with designing games, making websites, and creating applications/videogames. You will learn the process of user testing and iterative design by making non-digital games, get an introduction to coding with C#, and learn to make and edit websites with HTML.
200-level, 1-credit classes
- CAS 201: Audio And Video In Media Settings I: Intensive introduction to single camera location videography, non-linear editing, and professional video and audio techniques, technologies, standards, aesthetics, and procedures.
- CAS 202 – Audio And Video In Media Settings II: Advanced professional video/audio techniques, technologies, standards, aesthetics and procedures.
- CAS 203 – Media Design: Explores essential techniques and design principles for creating single page and multiple page layouts. Typography and the elements of design will also be introduced.
–Principle software: Adobe InDesign
- CAS 204 – Web Design: Professional web authoring techniques including technology standards, aesthetics and production using HTML and CSS. The course is a blend of design principles and development skills through course material and hands-on activities.
- CAS 205 – Photography in Media Settings: How to enhance, modify, and retouch digital images. There will be an introduction about cameras and lenses, however the class is not a photography class. In CAS 205, we will focus primarily on how to manipulate existing images.
–Principle software: Adobe Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop
- CAS 206: Graphics and Illustration: How to create vector artwork, digital illustrations and graphics for media projects.
–Principle software: Adobe Illustrator.
- CAS 207: Media Animation: Fundamentals of animation including principles, technology and design techniques for stand-alone and web-based applications in media settings.
- CAS 208- Media Interactivity: User interface and programming techniques for interactive design.